When it comes to doulas, there are a lot of misconceptions out there. What exactly do we DO anyway? Are we just for hippy dippy, crunchy people? Are we just for home birthers? Are we just for hospital birth?
So many questions.
For answers to those questions and more, use the search at the bottom of the page and find out anything you want to know about doulas.
If you don’t find the answers you’re looking for then post some in the comments. I’d be HAPPY to answer!
In the meantime, how about some tidbits about me, Jenn, the owner of Colorado Mountain Doulas?
Here are a five things about me and what I Doula. <See what I did there?
- I love turtles. They are my favorite animal. I think they’re adorable. I love that they symbolize wisdom and living a long life. At one point in my life I had over 200 turtle “items“. They ranged from necklaces and rings, to a giant, 5ft stuffed turtle that laid on my bed. I only know how many I had because I was planning to enter my collection into the fair. I didn’t get picked…..because there were people out there with BIGGER collections!
- I was technically a teen mom. My oldest was born 23 days before I turned 20. He is now the same age I was when he was a newborn. No plans for him to make me a grandma, yet. He says never. I say, let’s keep our options open. ;P
- There was a time in my life when I didn’t realize that people actually made homemade spaghetti sauce. What? That’s a thing?
My first job after moving out on my own at 17 was as a live-in nanny for my best friend’s family. (Kids ages ranged from 2 to 14 and there were FIVE of them) One day the mom, aka “Chicken Granny”, said we were having spaghetti for dinner and she started CHOPPING TOMATOES and MINCING GARLIC and a whole bunch of other “from scratch” cooking things I did not know existed. I was like, “uh, ok, where’s the jar so I can make dinner?” I had NO CLUE people made sauce from scratch. Silly Jenn.
- Believe it or not, after that realization^ and a few more years of boxed cooking and eating, I went through a phase of life where I was a HUGE food nut. Yep, I was one of THOSE. I was once super uber crunchy with a 1,000 square foot garden and a hatred for boxed food and microwaves. I actually kind of miss those days and I strive to get back to them, (without the “I’m gonna lost my shit if my kid eats a GMO” fanaticism) but for this moment in life, we eat what we eat and we use the microwave, (Only for heating NOT for cooking.) And I’m ok with that.
- I can’t actually think of a number 5. Maybe I’m not that interesting? Maybe everything I could think of for #5 was highly inappropriate, or way too emo. Or maybe I just need to get back to work. Got questions? Ask me!